1. This is the first time that I have ever tasted this kind of food. (It is the first time that…)
2. Only in this way can you learn English well. (Only in this way can/will/…sb. do sth.倒装)
3. There is not much point in working on my PhD. (There is no point in doing…)
4. In this book, Hawking explains both what it means to be a scientist and how science works.
5. People who listen to Hawking’s lectures sometimes find it difficult to understand him.
6. Reading is to the mind what food is to the body. (A is to B what C is to D)
7. She thought I was talking about her daughter while I was talking about my daughter. (…while…)
8. These coins are of different sizes and shapes. (be of + n.)
9. No matter how well translated, something of the spirit of the original work is lost. (No matter…)
10. When he woke up , he found himself lost in the forest. (find oneself…)
11. Seen from the top, it looks as if the stadium is covered by a gray net of steel, and it looks just like a bird’s nest made of tree branches.
12. The great moment for European literature to come to China is between 1910 and late 1930s when famous writers such as Lu Xun and Guo Moruo translated both poetry and novels into Chinese.
13. It is only a matter of time before the police get/catch the thief. (It is a matter of …)
14. It was not until twelve o’clock that I went to bed last night. (It is not until … that …)
15. Can you tell me what your school is like? (What something is like …)
16. The news that our team has won the game is true. (同位语that-clause)
17. I love singing, while my brother likes playing computer games. (…while…)
18. Between Britain and Ireland, in the Irish Sea, lies the small Isle of Man.
19. The Internet also makes it easier for companies to keep in touch with customers and companies in other countries. (make/find/think/consider/feel it adj. for sb. to do sth.)
20. Should they have patience, they could do the work well.
It’s high time that they got down to doing the homework.
If you had followed my advice just now, you would be better now. (主从时间不一致)
If we were to panic, we would not be able to help.
She is content with what the representatives from the world summarized at the Earth Summit. (be content with)
The United Nations held a meeting that society should be in harmony with nature. (in harmony with)
Upon/On arrival, the specialist advised the AIDS patient to calm down. (upon/on n./doing sth.; advise sb. to do sth.)
The specialist advised the AIDS patient to calm down immediately he arrived. (immediately/directly = as soon as 后接从句)
Hardly/No sooner had the specialist arrived when/than he advised the AIDS patient to calm down. (Hardly/No sooner had sb. done sth. when/than sb. did sth.)
Had I known that air conditioners cause so much pollution, I would never have bought one.
And poverty is less of a problem and people are better educated, there is a good chance that we will see less violence and fewer wars. (There is a chance that…; Chances are that…)
Her brilliant parents have had a great effect on her, so she has made many breakthroughs in the field of science.
It is believed that practice makes perfect.
Not all people can aim their guns at the targets. = All people can not aim their guns at the targets.
It is this fiction that reminds me of my childhood.
Whatever(No matter how) happens, we must keep calm.
In their efforts to survive, they find themselves on the surface of the monster itself, which turns out to be a submarine.
One of the mottos for the park—-“Relying on science, technology, and knowledge to increase economic power”—-makes it clear that science and business can and must work together to build the future.
Where was it that the road accident happened yesterday?
It will take a lot of courage to tell the truth.
There was a time when this village used to be very quiet.
Go and ask tom for whatever you need/want.
Even though the pure water is what gives sea water its main properties, the salinity of sea affects both its weight and freezing point.
What all these people have in common is that they ask to be treated with respect, share the right to work, good housing conditions and education, and be treated equally to other people, regardless of race, religion or sex.
There is no need for us to discuss the problem again since it has already been settled.
Should it rain(Were it to rain) tomorrow, we should have to put off the visit to the Great Wall.
I don’t mind her making fun of me.
While I don’t like biology, I find it interesting.
Take this opportunity please, and I guarantee (that) you won’t regret it.
I guarantee to pay off my debts/that I will pay off my debts.
They guarantee this machine to work for four years.
It takes many years for the ecosystem to recover. (=It takes somebody some time to do something.)
Young people are often compared to the rising sun at 8 or 9 o’clock in the morning.
The news of their secret wedding soon got around. = The news that they got married secretly soon got around. = The news soon got around that they got married secretly.
Now that you like the car so much, why not drive it back?